Sunday, December 15, 2013

Simplify Sunday: Purses

I have been in this place lately where I really feel the need to simplify. Simplify my surroundings, simplify my schedule, simplify my stuff - just simplify.

The thought of simplifying everything that I want and feel I need to simplify leaves me feeling extremely overwhelmed, so I decided I would tackle things one little piece at a time. Some of them I know will still be larger projects, but others just sort of happen.

That's what happened with this Simplify Project. I was actually tidying up the house to get ready for a party I was hosting and ended up being distracted by my completely unorganized shelves that hold my purses, wallets, clutches, and such.  I was about to start re-organizing them when I realized that I hardly use anything on one of the shelves and the other shelf housed pieces that I used to use on a regular basis, but that my current style just doesn't really have room for anymore. I knew I needed to simplify.

So, aside from my bags that I use on a seriously constant basis and that don't even live on my shelves, I looked at each piece and asked myself a few questions to help with my decision making:

1. Do I like this?
2. When did I last use this?
3. Does this fit my current style?
4. Is this ruined or worn out in any way?
5. Do I have anything super similar to this that I use more?

I didn't ask myself "Do I need this?" because, really, I don't need any of these things. So that would just cause more of a sense of feeling overwhelmed.  I tried my best to remain objective and be completely honest with myself.  This was a nice start to my Simplify Project because I really am not that much of a purse girl, so I don't have as strong of an attachment to these pieces as I know I do to other things. Baby steps.

As I mentioned, I have some bags that I use at least once a week, but most of them are more than 3 days a week.  These are my purse, my dance bag, my Longchamp Le Pliage Large Tote, and what used to be my school bag, but now serves as the the tote I use when I need to take my laptop with me - usually if I'm heading to a coffee shop to write.


My Everyday Bags

This Simplify Project took me less than ten minutes to complete, but I am really happy with what I decided to keep and what I decided to get rid of.  My shelves are much more organized now and this is one less thing that adds to that overwhelming feeling for me.







I ended up choosing to get rid of four purses, two wallets, and one clutch.  It doesn't seem like that much, but considering my small(ish) collection of purses it was a large chunk for me.


What is one area of your life that you feel you need to simplify? Do you plan on completing your own Simplify Project? Be sure to share it with me if you do!

2 comments:

  1. I try to clean out my closet once a year, it always leaves me with such a feeling of accomplishment!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! My closet is in desperate need of clean out, maybe after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...