Monday, November 5, 2018

Maternity Leave Bucket List

maternity leave, coffee, bucket list


With Belle getting close to being one year old, the end of my maternity leave is drawing near (I live in Canada and we are blessed with an entire year for maternity leave). It has been pretty great, I would say! I love spending my days with my girl and being in my home and making an effort to keep it orderly and running. I have done a lot outside the home, too, but I keep feeling like I didn't quite make the most of my time off from work. Reflecting on it, I know that's not true; I flew with Belle to Ontario, I have hosted playdates and we have attended them, we have gone to the mall numerous times, we have gone for walks, we have taken mid-week trips to visit my parents and my in-laws, we went down to Gravelbourg to see my best friend and her baby (who was born eight days after Isabelle!), we took a family camping trip, and so, so much more.

As a way to try and combat this feeling, I decided to compile a list of things I would like to try and do at least once (or one more time) before I head back to work. Is there anything you would add if you were in my shoes?

Maternity Wishlist

  • Playdate with both sets of nearby cousins (or all of them at once!)
  • Host a playdate with friends
  • Walk along the river - I specifically want to park where I would park when I was working downtown and walk a big loop of the river, early in the morning; while we have gone on plenty of river walks, we haven't gotten to this iteration yet.
  • Walk to the mall just for the walk
  • Head out the door right when we both wake up for an early morning neighbourhood walk
  • Coffee shop visits (We have done far less of these than I anticipated, but they are also harder to manage than I anticipated.)
  • Go to the Farmer's Market on a Wednesday morning
  • Do an early morning visit to Riversdale 
  • Mid-week trip to Prince Albert to see my in-laws
  • Mid-week trip to Regina to see my parents
  • Go to a public swimming pool
  • Make use of my sewing machine and sew something
  • Finally get my office organized and tidy - the goal is to have it safe for Belle to crawl into.
I'm sure more will come to me over time, but I think this is a good start to help me direct my days. Sometimes the whole day will fly by before I realize that I didn't do much more than simply care for Belle, which is fine! But, I would prefer that those days be intentional rather than accidental. 

If you have ever been on maternity leave, what were some of the things that you liked to do, or what do you wish you would have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...